Welcome to Slapton in Devon
Slapton is a civil parish under the South Hams District Council and Devon County Council
Slapton is a delightful rural coastal village located in the South Hams of Devon and within an area of outstanding natural beauty. Just over 400 people live in the parish as permanent residents within a thriving community.
Slapton is located a quarter of a mile inland from Start Bay, famous for Operation Tiger and a series of landing exercises carried out on Slapton Sands prior to the D-Day landings in June 1944. The village lies within a conservation area with thatched cottages, Leets, narrow windy streets around St James the Great Church, which was dedicated to St James in 1318. The Village is steeped in history dating back to the late 13th and early 14th Century. Slapton has 2 pubs, a community shop, village hall, 2 churches, several campsites, a defibrillator, a working BT phone box, a recreation field, playground, a community nature field, network of parish footpaths (including through Slapton Ley NNR), a site of special scientific interest (SSSI) and is home to the Field Study Council's Slapton Ley field centre.