White Close is a conservation area for the quiet enjoyment of all and is located on the left-hand side of Prospect Hill as you ascend out of the village. Look out for the small, entrance if on foot. You can access by car but will need to approach the entrance downhill into the village.
White Close was purchased by the Parish Council for the Parish and is placed in trust and managed by the White Close Trustees and supported by Friends of White Close – read more on this below and in the attached leaflet.
The field is lovely and peaceful to walk around amongst the trees but hilly in places and stout footwear is advised, Enjoy the stunning views across the village and out to Start Bay from the picnic tables and benches at the top. There is plenty of wildlife, birds and birdsong, a newly planted small orchard and is home to ‘bugmoral’ a very large bug house which is worthy of a visit in its own right. Bugmoral is based on Balmoral and was built by community volunteers to mark the Queens Jubilee and Big Green Week.
How you can get involved and support White Close:
- Help at a Saturday morning volunteer session and make new friends. To be added to the mailing list to be notified of the dates, please contact Andrew Naish, Chairman on 07860 731232.
- Become a ‘Friend of White Close’. Could you give £10 per year for the next five years? You can cancel at anytime. If 100 friends gave £10, the Trust will have secured the cost of maintenance each year. You can do this via a standing order using the following bank details:
Account Name: White Close Trust
Sort Code: 30:98:69
Account Number: 00653582
- Make a one-off cash donation. Simply post a cheque made payable to White Close Slapton Trust through the door of Trustee Janice Shiner, Florence House, Sands Corner. Please make cheques.
- Gift Aid. If you are eligible for Gift Aid, download, complete and return the Friends of White Close leaflet as it enables us to claim back money from HMRC.
- Arrange your own event. Just get in touch with one of the trustees by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you can support in some way but whether you are able or not, you are very welcome to use White Close for your own enjoyment, and for that of your family and friends.
The White Close Trustees.