South Hams and West Devon add their support to Ukrainians fleeing conflict
Press release: We Stand With Ukraine SHDC want to reach out to all of our Ukrainian residents, and anyone with friends and families affected by, or concerned about, events in Ukraine.
Published: 12 March 2022
In Devon, we welcome refugees seeking a safe home in our communities. In recent years we have welcomed refugees from Syria and Afghanistan, and we will do what we can to support people escaping war in Ukraine.
Last summer, we received an overwhelming number of incredibly generous offers of support from people across both South Hams and West Devon in response to the crisis in Afghanistan. We know that the people of Devon will want to show the same compassionate welcome to people fleeing Ukraine.
Information and Support
- If you are a resident with friends and family in Ukraine and need information or support about what is happening please contact the Ukrainian Embassy
- To make a donation towards the UN’s humanitarian work, please visit Ukrainian Humanitarian Fund UN Crisis Relief
- You can also make a donation via the Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal
- The fastest way to donate to a DEC appeal is by donating online. Visit https://www.dec.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-humanitarian-appeal
- Alternatively you can call 01204 770822, or use other ways to donate. https://dechelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200731191-Donations-Gift-Ai
- For information on travel advice to and from Ukraine visit GOV.UK
- If you have a child in a Devon school who is affected by the crisis, please talk to your child’s teachers about any concerns you have and support you would like the school to provide
- Find immigration advice on temporary concessions for Ukrainian nationals applying to join a family route at GOV.UK
- The government has outlined support for up to 200,000 Ukrainian refugees under ‘temporary visa concessions’. And further visas are being granted to those currently within the UK, including specific groups of workers, students and other visitors.
Or visit your local Council’s website: South Hams District Council: https://www.southhams.gov.uk/stand-with-ukraine