Skip to main content

CSG Committee Meeting – 5th April 2024

Community Support Group Ordinary Committee Meeting Agenda
Friday 5th April at 10.00 am at Slapton Village Hall Meeting Room

The following CSG Committee Members are requested to attend:
Julie Hinder (CSG Chair), Kate Palmer, Jane Abbey (PC Chair) and Peter Osborne (PC Cllr).

Maria Garbicz, any CSG Volunteers or members of the public are also welcome to attend.

1) APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2) DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: Committee Members are invited to declare any disclosable interest they may have in any items to be considered.

3) PUBLIC COMMENT

4) MINUTES OF THE LAST COMMUNITY SUPPORT GROUP ORDINARY COMMITTEE MEETING held on Thursday 25th January at 7.00pm: If agreed, to be signed by the Chair as a true and correct record – see separate document (4).

5) MATTERS FOR DISCUSSION
a. Parish wide survey: Details and actions to be agreed to develop, distribute, collect and analyse an appropriate survey, which can be used as the basis for the CSG’s medium to longer term planning, should Members wish to proceed with this.
b. Selling the sizzle to recruit volunteers: Recruitment strategy, details and actions to be agreed to ensure sufficient volunteers – a baking and serving rota is needed for the Community Café if the Café is to run in winter 24/25. Additional volunteers will be required for all other CSG events too.
c. Short term plan: Any changes/additions to the CSG’s short term plan (events for financial year 24/25) as outlined in minute ref: 15:23 d?
d. Communication: Possible leaflet drop to households to inform parishioners of CSG events. Details and actions to be agreed should Members wish to proceed with this.

6) REVIEW of ACTION LOG: Status update of pending or incomplete actions in the action log – see separate document (6).

7) ANY OTHER PROPOSALS BY MEMBERS FOR RESOLUTION AND AOB

8) ANY PROPOSALS OR FINANCIAL MATTERS THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN TO THE PARISH COUNCIL FOR RESOLUTION

9) NEXT MEETING DATES: When would Members like the next meeting to be?

Signed: Bella Moor, PC Clerk
26/03/24

 

Draft Minutes of the Community Support Group Ordinary Committee Meeting, Friday 5th April 2024 at 10.00am, Slapton Village Hall Meeting Room

The following CSG Committee Members were in attendance:
Julie Hinder (CSG Chair), Kate Palmer, Jane Abbey (PC Chair) and Peter Osborne (PC Cllr).
Clerk: Bella Moor

Maria Garbicz was also in attendance as she is interested in joining the CSG Committee. No other volunteers or members of the public were in attendance.

1:24 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: None

2:24 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: None

3:24 PUBLIC COMMENT: None

4:24 MINUTES OF THE LAST COMMUNITY SUPPORT GROUP ORDINARY COMMITTEE MEETING held on Thursday 25th January were agreed unanimously and signed by the Chair as a true and correct record.

5:24 MATTERS FOR DISCUSSION

a. Parish wide survey: There was discussion about the types of questions that could be included. There was also discussion about the timing of a survey and agreement that the CSG must decide and communicate its purpose and aims before undertaking a survey. It was resolved to postpone the survey for the time being.

b. Purpose and aims of the CSG: There was discussion about why the CSG exists and acknowledgement that it was initially established to ensure that nobody was forgotten during the pandemic. Further discussions were held about the vision for the CSG moving forward, its purpose, aims and what it can realistically achieve. Members shared their views, which included the CSG’s role in the following: Helping the community to help themselves sustainably to make life better for everyone by providing things that they need locally and ensuring all members of the community, (especially those that are lonely or isolated) are engaged in community activities. It was agreed that these are two sides of the same coin that fit with the PC’s vision of supporting both ‘Nature and Nurture’. There was also discussion about the need for projects that improve public assets as well as events e.g. involving the community in enhancing the Recreation Field to encourage a wider range of users. It was resolved that the Clerk should provide historic Recreation Field usage data and add the Recreation Field to a future CSG Agenda. Clerk to Action.

c. Selling the sizzle to recruit volunteers: There was discussion about the difficulty in recruiting volunteers and how it will be a case of use it or lose it if volunteers to help with Community Café and other events cannot be recruited. There was further discussion about making it clear that volunteering could be on an ad hoc basis and how to develop a mailing group. It was resolved to include volunteering on a flyer to be distributed (see k below) and to develop a database of email addresses of parishioners who would like to be kept up to date with CSG activities via email. Cllr Osborne and Clerk to action. There was also a discussion about recruiting young people to volunteer by encouraging them to build new skills to support D of E awards or university applications etc. Clerk to consider ways to do this.

d. Short term plan: Any changes/additions to the CSG’s short term plan (events for financial year 24/25) as outlined in minute ref: 15:23 d? There was discussion about activities planned so far and confirmation that the Community Café winter 24-25, Halloween Event Oct 24 and participation at the Tree Hub Jan 25 would all go ahead. It was also resolved to organise an outdoor community activity in Sept 24, to publicise Maria’s monthly foraging course on the CSG flyer (but not under the CSG’s banner/insurance) and explore the possibility of a Ceilidh for Jan or Feb 25 further. Kate Palmer to organise outdoor activity for Sept 24 and Julie Hinder to explore options and costs for Ceilidh in early 25.

e. Communication: There was discussion about how to share the CSG’s purpose, aims and future activities. It was resolved that the CSG would develop a flyer, to be delivered to each household containing this information. Clerk and Cllr Osborne to action (all members to help with distribution). There was also discussion about how best to encourage neighbours to support one another, especially those who are vulnerable. It was resolved to include signposting advice in the Slapton Lines Magazine. Clerk to prepare and action. It was also resolved that the flyer (see above) should be included in Slapton Lines Magazine as a one page advert and that the CSG Chair should write a regular article for Slapton Lines Magazine, which is separate to the PC’s article. Clerk to support Chair to action.

6:24 REVIEW of ACTION LOG

a. Status update of pending or incomplete actions in the action log – see separate document (6). Kate Palmer provided an update on the ‘orchard’ and Julie Hinder provided an update on an action relating to a Celidh from May 23.

7:24 ANY OTHER PROPOSALS BY MEMBERS FOR RESOLUTION AND AOB

a. New CSG Committee Member: The Chair explained that James Curtis has stepped down from the CSG, which means there is one vacancy on the CSG Committee. She also recognised Jame’s valuable contributions to the CSG over the years. There was a discussion with Maria Garbicz to find out more about her interests and to confirm that she would still like to become a Member of the CSG Committee. It was then unanimously resolved that Maria Garbicz be appointed as a new CSG Committee Member. Maria Garbicz to return completed form to Clerk.

b. Other possible outdoor activities: There was discussion about important trees in the Parish, including a large Sweet Chestnut, that can be seen from Footpath 2, and the possibility of involving the community in developing a parish wide map of important/interesting trees. There was also discussion about involving Strollers as well as other parishioners in surveying the public rights of way and/or walking the parish boundary. Clerk to add to an agenda in Autumn 24-25 to correlate with Tree Hub preparations and PROW grant applications.

c. CSG report at PC Annual Parish Meeting (APM): The CSG chair has agreed to speak at the PC APM. There was discussion about the need to share the purpose and aims of the CSG together with short term, medium term and possible longer term actions.

d. Water voles: Kate Palmer shared that there are plans to reintroduce water voles to rivers in the Parish.

8:24 ANY PROPOSALS OR FINANCIAL MATTERS THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN TO THE PARISH COUNCIL FOR RESOLUTION

a. Will the PC fund the printing for a CSG flyer? Cllr Abbey to add to PC Chair’s report at next PC meeting.

9:24 NEXT MEETING DATE: Thursday 30th May.at 10.00 am

Signed:                                                                                                                                 Date:

Documents

Is this page useful?