Skip to main content

CSG Committee Meeting – 30th May 2024

Community Support Group Ordinary Committee Meeting Agenda
Thursday 30th May at 10.00 am at Slapton Village Hall Meeting Room

The following CSG Committee Members are requested to attend:
Julie Hinder (CSG Chair), Kate Palmer, Maria Garbicz, Jane Abbey (PC Chair) and Peter Osborne (PC Cllr).

Any CSG Volunteers or members of the public are also welcome to attend.

1) APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2) DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: Committee Members are invited to declare any disclosable interest they may have in any items to be considered.

3) PUBLIC COMMENT

4) MINUTES OF THE LAST COMMUNITY SUPPORT GROUP ORDINARY COMMITTEE MEETING held on Friday 5th April. If agreed, to be signed by the Chair as a true and correct record – see separate document (4).

5) MATTERS FOR DISCUSSION/RESOLUTION
a. Distribution of flyer – village, hamlets and outer parish – see separate document (5a)
b. Recreation Field – historic usage and future improvements – see separate document (5b)
c. Parish footpaths – Devon definitive map (refer to email dated 17.05.24)
d. CSG email addresses – Clerk to provide an update

6) REVIEW of ACTION LOG: Status update of pending or incomplete actions in the action log – see separate document (6).

7) ANY OTHER PROPOSALS BY MEMBERS FOR RESOLUTION

8) AOB

9) ANY PROPOSALS OR FINANCIAL MATTERS THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN TO THE PARISH COUNCIL FOR RESOLUTION

10) NEXT MEETING DATES: When would Members like the next meeting to be?

Signed: Bella Moor, PC Clerk
21/05/24

 

Draft Minutes

 

The following CSG Committee Members were in attendance:

Julie Hinder (CSG Chair), Kate Palmer, Maria Garbicz, Jane Abbey (PC Chair) and Peter Osborne (PC Cllr).

 

10: 24 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: None

 

11:24 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: None

 

12:24 PUBLIC COMMENT: None

 

13:24 MINUTES OF THE LAST COMMUNITY SUPPORT GROUP ORDINARY COMMITTEE MEETING  held on Friday 5th April were agreed unanimously and signed by the Chair as a true and correct record.

 

14:24 MATTERS FOR DISCUSSION/RESOLUTION

a. Distribution of flyer – village, hamlets and outer parish. It was resolved unanimously that flyers would be distributed in the next week as follows:

Julie – yellow and red zones

Peter – blue and green zones, Hansel, Merrifield and Loworthy

Jane – purple zone, Pool Barns, and properties along/just off 5 mile lane, including Eastergrounds, Deerswell, Cattery and Lipton

Kate – Start, Coltscombe(s), Pittaford, Pollardscombe (Bella to check Harleston)

Maria – Dittiscombe and Alston

Bella – Thorn, Newton and Clovelly

All to action.

b. Recreation Field – historic usage shows >1800 visits (people who put a button in a jar) between Feb 22 and Feb 23. The main usage appears to have been by dog walkers. There was discussion about the purpose of any future improvements and it was acknowledged that these could result in greater enjoyment, together with an increased number of users for a wider range of purposes. Concerns was raised about the lack of a footpath on Blacksmiths Hill, constraints of the lease agreement, costs and project management time. The Clerk advised that any proposed improvements should be discussed with the landowner before consulting parishioners and that a fully costed grant submission would be necessary to fund any improvements e.g. via Community Green Spaces Fund – Devon Funding News. There was discussion about what the improvements might include e.g. maintaining the car parking, providing a flatter surface for football/other ball games and events, seating areas, banks/trees/planting for protection from the wind and other landscaping features, as well as the possibility of other equipment/installations that promote physical activity (for both adults and children). It was resolved unanimously, that as a first step, Kate Palmer would work with a local professional landscape designer, who may be willing to help free of charge, to draw up initial plans for discussion at the next CSG meeting. Kate to action.

c. Parish footpaths – Devon definitive map. There was discussion about whether this is something the CSG should consider given the likely effort/reward and acknowledgement that it would be worthwhile exploring the next steps. It was resolved unanimously that this should be taken to the PC for resolution. Clerk to add to PC agenda for July. If the PC resolve that the CSG may explore the possibility of adding footpaths to the Devon definitive map, Kate Palmer and the Clerk to arrange initial discussion with the Devon Definitive Map Team. Clerk to action.

d. CSG email addresses – the Clerk explained that if the PC coopts an additional Councillor, it will require use all the PC’s 10 Microsoft accounts. As such, a separate CSG email address will need to be agreed for CSG Members as the PC/CSG cannot afford to buy an additional 10 licences (they do not come in smaller packages). Clerk to consult with Julie Hinder to ensure she still has access to everything she needs before doing a change over.

 

15:24 REVIEW of ACTION LOG: Status update of pending or incomplete actions in the action log.

 a. Finalise arrangements for an outdoor community activity in Sept 24 – Kate is awaiting confirmation of whether a professional will support the event and what their availability may be. Kate to provide confirmation of the date before 15th July so that it can be shared in the Slapton Lines Magazine.

b. Explore options and costs for Ceilidh – Clerk will cost fully (Julie has already investigated ballpark figures) and add to agenda for the July CSG meeting so that Members may decide how best to establish community interest/demand. Clerk to action.

c. Prepare signposting advice, for inclusion in the Slapton Lines Magazine, about how to support vulnerable neighbours – the Clerk did not had time to do this for the June edition. Peter has offered to help the Clerk on this so that it goes into the next Slapton Lines Magazine (submission deadline 15th July). Clerk and Peter to action.

 

16:24 ANY OTHER PROPOSALS BY MEMBERS FOR RESOLUTION

a. Community Cinema – Peter explained that the film could not go ahead on Saturday 1st June as the Community Cinema had been let down by Cinema 4 All (who the equipment is hired from) and asked whether it would be possible for the PC to encourage the Village Hall to acquire their own equipment with support of funds from the Community Cinema, fundraising events and other grants. It was proposed by Peter, Seconded by Jane and resolved unanimously that this should be added to the PC’s agenda for July. Clerk to action.

 

17:24 AOB

 a. Well-being – there was a discussion about how to identify those in the Parish who may require support or are lonely/isolated etc. Peter explained that Slapton falls under Kingsbridge Caring and that he would liaise directly with them regarding vulnerable parishioners and how to identify/support them. Peter to action and feedback. The Clerk explained that word of mouth might also be an effective way to find this information out. Julie mentioned connecting with SHAW at Norton Brook, Kate mentioned links with Chillington and Jane mentioned links with South Hams Community Action.

b. Trees – Kate has identified an historic tree of interest near Footpath 2 that she feels should have a Tree Protection Order placed on it. Clerk to notify Tree Wardens. There was also discussion about the mapping of important trees although this is scheduled for discussion at the July or August meeting. The Clerk advised that it might be worthwhile linking up with the Tree Wardens and incorporating this into the Tree Hub week/activities etc.

 

18:24 ANY PROPOSALS OR FINANCIAL MATTERS THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN TO THE PARISH COUNCIL FOR RESOLUTION

 a, Clerk to add 14:24 c and 16:24 a to the PC’s July agenda. Clerk to action.

 

19:24 NEXT MEETING DATES: Possibly Mon 22nd or Wed 31st July TBC.

 

Signed:                                                                                                            Date:

 

Documents

Is this page useful?